Vaginal Odor can be an embarrassing issue, but it is actually common among women of all ages. There are many causes of vaginal odor, which means the method to eliminate odor can vary. This blog will provide an overview of what causes vaginal odor and how to get rid of vaginal odor.
What Causes Vaginal Odor?
If you find yourself wondering, “Why do I have a strong odor down there?”, you've come to the right place. In order to figure out which feminine odor products you should be using, you will first need to figure out what is causing the odor. The following is a shortlist of the most common causes of vaginal odor:
- Hygiene: The vagina is a self-cleaning organ, but good hygiene can help maintain a normal vaginal balance. This includes cleansing with water and a washcloth, wearing clean underwear made of breathable fabric, changing out of sweaty workout clothes or removing a wet swimsuit. Improper care can be a cause of vaginal odor.
- Improper Balance: When the vagina is imbalanced, odor can occur. This imbalance can be caused by excessive douching, menopause or even the presence of semen or menstrual blood.
- Menstruation: One cause of vaginal odor is menstrual blood. Although periods are normal, they can also cause your vagina to have a lingering odor. Menstrual blood is more basic can alter interfere with the vaginal balance.
- Urine: Although urine comes out of your urethra, it can also cause your vagina to have a lingering odor. In particular, if you have urine that has an especially strong odor and/or you’re not wiping yourself properly after urinating, an unpleasant vaginal odor may develop.
- Sweat: Lastly, sweat can also play a role in the smell of your vagina. The vagina itself cannot sweat as it does not have any sweat glands. However, the external genitalia and the groin area can. The apocrine sweat glands in the groin area can secrete sweat into the pubic hair follicles, trapping in moisture which may cause odor.
Ways to Get Rid of Vaginal Odor
Now that we have learned about the various causes of vaginal odor, let's look at some vaginal odor solutions. Some of the best methods for eliminating vaginal odor are as follows:
- Practice good hygiene. By using a washcloth and water on the outside of your vagina on a daily basis, you can greatly reduce your issues with vaginal odor. Don’t use loofahs or scented soaps as they can do more harm than good, and always thoroughly rinse the area before finishing your shower.
- Use deodorizing products on the exterior. These types of products can improve the scent of your vagina but it is important to keep in mind that deodorizing products do not eliminate odor, they just mask the scent.
- Boric acid suppositories. Boric acid is known to eliminate vaginal odor. pH-D Feminine Health proudly offers the #1 doctor recommended boric acid suppository.
Vaginal odor is caused by a number of internal and external factors. These include hygiene, vaginal imbalance, stress, menstruation and more. To eliminate or diminish vaginal odor it is important to practice good hygiene, like using deodorizing products and vaginal suppositories for odor.
pH-D offers the highest quality products to help eliminate your vaginal odor. Since every woman is different, be sure to find the products for vaginal odor that are best for you and your individual circumstances. If your vaginal odor is getting increasingly worse, be sure to consult with your gynecologist.