What is a Vaginal Suppository Used For?
A vaginal suppository is a small capsule that is inserted into the vagina. They become a liquid and dissolve within the vagina as they warm to the body's temperature. In this article, we will explore what a vaginal suppository is, what it can be used for, and how to use/insert a vaginal suppository. We will also provide some helpful tips to ensure that the process is as comfortable as possible.
What is a vaginal suppository?
A vaginal suppository is a small, cylindrical capsule that is designed to be inserted into the vagina using an applicator or with the fingers. These suppositories are typically made from a combination of ingredients that are designed to melt or dissolve slowly and release its substances over a 4–12-hour time period.
What is a vaginal suppository used for?
Vaginal suppositories are commonly used to control issues such as vaginal odor and vaginal dryness- two common issues that can cause discomfort and embarrassment for many women.
For vaginal odor:
Many people question, “Is vaginal odor normal?” Odor is a common vaginal health issue that can be caused by a multitude of things including diet, wearing nonbreathable clothing, sweat, keeping a wet swimsuit on for too long, and having a lack of feminine hygiene. However, if you notice a smell that is not like your normal scent, you should consult a healthcare provider.
Boric acid suppositories are a common holistic solution for vaginal odor. pH-D Feminine Health is the #1 Doctor recommended brand of boric acid vaginal suppositories containing the doctor recommended 600 mg of boric acid in a small bovine gelatin capsule that dissolves within 4-12 hours once inserted into the vagina.
For vaginal dryness:
Vaginal dryness can cause discomfort during sexual intercourse, as well as itching, burning, and general discomfort. pH-D Feminine Health’s Moisturizing Suppositories made of boric acid, vitamin E, and Coconut oil in a bovine gelatin capsule assist with moisture renewal and dissolves within 4-12 hours once inserted into the vagina. However, if your vaginal dryness worsens, it is crucial that you visit your healthcare provider to receive proper medical advice.
How to insert a vaginal suppository
Suppositories for vaginal use can be a bit intimidating for some people, but it is a relatively simple solution. Boric acid suppositories can be inserted with or without an applicator.
With an applicator:
- Take an applicator and remove the outer wrapping
- Take one boric acid capsule and insert it into the open end of the applicator.
- While either standing with your feet spread apart or lying on your back with your knees bent, hold the applicator by the opposite end from where the suppository is.
- Gently insert the suppository applicator into the vagina as far as it will comfortably go. Push on the plunger to insert the suppository and remove the applicator.
- To clean reusable applicators, you can put them in the dishwasher, wash them with soap and warm water, or boil them in water for a few minutes. pH-D applicators can be pulled apart into two pieces if you pull hard enough! Once the applicator is clean and dry you can put the two pieces back together as they easily pop back into each other.
Without an applicator:
- Wash your hand thoroughly to ensure they are clean
- Take one boric acid capsule and insert it into the vagina like you would a tampon.
- You can insert the suppository standing with your feet spread apart or by lying on your back with your knees bent. Using your fingers, insert the suppository into the vagina and push it up until you can’t feel it anymore.
Helpful tips for using vaginal suppositories
Here are some helpful tips to make the process of using vaginal suppositories as comfortable and effective as possible:
- Insert the suppository at night- using the suppository at night can help to reduce vaginal discharge and make the process more comfortable.
- Wear a panty liner – wearing a panty liner can help to absorb any vaginal discharge that may occur after using a vaginal suppository.
- Follow the instructions carefully – it is important to follow the instructions provided with the suppository carefully to ensure that you receive optimal vaginal health benefits.